Tuesday 17 November 2015

Trial By Fire by Josephine Angelini (Worldwalker series)


I'm a witch. And witches burn.

Josephine Angelini. Why. Why must you do this to me? First it was Starcrossed, which I basically devoured, and now you've gone and written this. Arghhhh.

Lily Proctor is allergic to everything. She can barely survive a day without developing a fever or a rash due to an allergic reaction, and then there is the difficulty breathing, nausea and life-threatening seizures, meaning she may not even be able to attend college next year.

But then Lily is dragged into a new world. A world where she goes from being completely helpless to the most powerful woman in the land. Where witches rule and science is all but obsolete. Where she is literally fighting a war with herself.


She was still in Salem. She just wasn't in her Salem anymore.


I love love love this world. The whole concept of the magic is so well thought out; there's a science behind it, rather than the age-old wave-your-wand-abracadabra type of magic. There's changing elements and compounds and the conservation of energy and thermodynamics and it all makes a wonderful kind of sense. Well, for me, anyway. It's just so fresh and new to see magic like this. On a side note, I massively want a willstone. Exams would be made so much easier if I could memorise everything I read instantly.

The idea of parallel universes I always find fascinating, and even though this world was completely different from ours it still seemed to mirror it in an odd sort of way. Josephine Angelini created similar issues in her world to what we face today: nuclear weaponry, a lack of farming space, and genetic modification of crops/animals, but in completely different situations to ours. Which is great, because it gives a whole new perspective on them, but also makes it much easier to feel like a part of it all. The whole thing was just so convincing that I got completely swept up in her world and didn't want it to ever end. 

It is a romance book, and so of course, there's a beautiful little romance between Lily and another character whom I may have actually fallen in love with. Oops. But honest to God, Rowan is possibly the loveliest guy I have ever seen (or not seen, because he's fictional, cry cry).


But yes, in summary, I LOVED this book. And I'm trying to explain my love without giving everything away (which is even harder now that I've read the sequel) because I would hate if someone else had spoiled it for me, but this is proving to be an incredibly difficult task. Anyway, if you like adventure-fantasy-magic type stuff with bits of romance, then this is a very good book for you :)

No comments :

Post a Comment